Titanic Engineers Memorial, Southampton
The Titanic Engineers Memorial is a memorial to Titanic’s Engineers, all of whom lost their lives in the Titanic disaster, located in Southampton, United Kingdom.
Titanic Engineers Memorial, Southampton.
Constructed from bronze and granite, the memorial was unveiled on 22nd April 1914 by Sir Archibald Denny, president of the Institute of Marine Engineers, in front of a reported crowd of around 100,000 people. The memorial was funded by donations from around the world and was designed and constructed by Whitehead & Son, of London.
Included on the memorial are the following words;
”Greater love hath no man than this. That a man lay down his life for his friends.”
”To the memory of the Engineer Officers of the RMS “Titanic” who showed their high conception of duty and their heroism by remaining at their posts.”
In total there are 38 names on the memorial, all of which can be found in the image bellow;
In 2010, by now a Grade II listed structure, the memorial, after the passing of time and many years of exposure to the weather and pollution, was restored to its original appearance, in a joint project between Southampton City Council and British TV production company Twenty Twenty Television, as part of the Channel 4 TV series Titanic: The Mission. After the completion of the restoration the presenters of Titanic: The mission officially unveiled the newly restored memorial on 4th September 2010.
Location of memorial
View Larger Map
The Engineers memorial is located in East Park, fronting Above Bar Street. It is almost located opposite the Cenotaph on the opposite side of the road in Watts Park. It is also fairly near to Southampton’s SeaCity museum, located on the map right by 'Civic Center'.