White Star Line crew records

harbourlights

White Star Line crew records

Post by harbourlights »

Good evening. I'm researching the career of my great uncle, James Holland Walker who was 3rd officer on the Ionic and Baltic in 1927 and 1929 when he was decorated for gallantry during two rescues at sea. Can anyone tell me where I could find the White Star crew records? Many thanks.
Thomas

Re: White Star Line crew records

Post by Thomas »

Hi. I can't remember any details right now, but I believe I am aware of James Holland Walker who I think was in charge of the lifeboat aboard Baltic used to rescue the crew of a schooner called Northern Light in 1929. You may know, I believe there is audio/video footage of him describing the event and possibly even some showing the rescue.

I'm not too sure where you can find crew records of use. Possibly the archives of the University of Liverpool may have something?
harbourlights

Re: White Star Line crew records

Post by harbourlights »

Hi, yes you're quite right about the film of one of his rescues. I have a copy of it and it's wonderful to see him and hear his voice after all these years! He was 3rd officer on the Baltic and in charge of the boat that was launched to save the crew of a foundering schooner, the Northern Lights. He was decorated for this rescue in 1929 and also for an earlier one in 1927. I'm trying to track down his medals which were sold at auction in 2008. I'm also trying to get some detail of his career at sea which is a bit sketchy on this side of the family. I have been in touch with the University of Liverpool but it's not looking too hopeful. Thanks for your interest and advice.