Suevic at Gallipoli- What date did the Suevic sail from Mudros for Port Phillip in March/April 2015?

Gary_C

Suevic at Gallipoli- What date did the Suevic sail from Mudros for Port Phillip in March/April 2015?

Post by Gary_C »

The Suevic pages at https://www.whitestarhistory.com/suevic confirm that, when serving as an Australian troop ship in WW1, the Suevic made a journey to Mudros in March 1915 (where Allied troops were preparing the 25th April invasion of Gallipoli .
The Suevic had earlier brought Australian troops to Egypt as part of the 2nd convoy, arriving at the end of January and likely then proceding to Liverpool before returning to Mudros in March.
Newspaper records show that the Suevic then arrived in Port Phillip (Melbourne, Australia) on May 24th - carrying my young grandfather who then spent some weeks in a Geelong convalescent home - I have no records of the nature of his injuries.
I am keen to establish if my grandfather was part of that initial, fateful assault on Gallipoli on 25th April or if he was injured before then & returned home on the Suevic - if I can establish when the Suevic sailed from Mudros it will be a strong clue about what happened.
I am hopeful that perhaps one of the historians who contributes to these pages may have the record I seek - i.e. what date did the Suevic sail from Mudros for Port Phillip in March/April 2015?