Titanic Liverpool


Located in big letters on Titanic's stern was the name 'Titanic', with the name 'Liverpool' directly underneath it. This was because although Southampton was Titanic's effective homeport, as this was where she was based and where she was intended to have started and ended her voyages to and from New York; Liverpool was her registered homeport.

Titanic's owners, the White Star Line, had a long connection with Liverpool, where the company was founded and where its headquarters remained. Originally the White Star Line had mainly always used Liverpool as the port in which its ships were based; however, in 1907 White Star moved its main United Kingdom to United States service from Liverpool to Southampton, with Southampton being well located for passengers coming from London and for the ship to stop off in France on its way to Ireland and onwards to America. Unlike Titanic's sister ship Olympic which first visited Liverpool on her first voyage from her Belfast builders to Southampton, Titanic never actually visited Liverpool.

Liverpool's connection to Titanic goes beyond it being the ship's official homeport and where her owners were based, in that a noticeable number of the crew aboard were from or connected to the city, including Henry Wilde, Titanic's chief officer, who had been born there, and Titanic's captain, Edward Smith, who had lived in Liverpool for many years until he moved to Southampton due to White Star Lines's new Adriatic, which, just like Titanic, he was the first captain of, starting White Star's new service from Southampton in 1907. Titanic survivor Joseph Bruce Ismay, White Star's Managing Director, lived in Liverpool and was born in the Liverpool area.

A very notable part of the ship to the crew and third class passengers was known aboard as Scotland Road, named after a well known road in Liverpool. Scotland Road on Titanic was a long passageway located in the crew's and third class passenger's area, which ran through or immediately beside the crew quarters on the port side of E Deck, connecting the bow to the stern. Scotland Road was featured in the 1997 Titanic film, in the scene during the sinking in which Jack and Rose break onto the passageway and are then reprimanded by a crew member for damaging 'White Star Line property.' The name 'Liverpool' on the stern of the ship is also prominently seen in the scenes between Jack and Rose on the stern of the ship both when they first meet and during the sinking of the ship.

After the disaster it was decided to place a memorial to Titanic in Liverpool dedicated to those who worked within the engine room; however, by the time it was completed in 1916, with the horrible events of the First World War taking place, it was decided that the memorial would be dedicated to 'all heroes of the marine engine room.'



Related pages - Titanic Lookouts and Crow's Nest, All Titanic Pages

Titanic Pages (home) | Site Map | White Star History